Awareness must be raised
on identifying symptoms and initiating treatment within one hour of Heart
Patna, October 18, 2019: About 90% of the risk for acute myocardial
infarction (Heart Attack) comes from modifiable risk
factors such as obesity, smoking, drinking, and physical inactivity, as
per statistics. Indians
are also more prone to this condition due to genetic factors. There is a need
to raise awareness on identifying symptoms at an early stage as also prevention
to avoid complications.
MI, or a heart attack, is
a medical emergency. In this condition, one of the coronary arteries becomes
blocked suddenly, and the heart muscle supplied by that artery begins to die.
This condition needs early and aggressive medical therapy to stabilize the
cardiovascular system and prevent or mitigate long-term complications from the
Speaking about this, Dr
Manoj Kumar, Director
& Head – Cardiac Cath Lab, Max Super Specialty Hospital, Patparganj, New
“Acute myocardial infarction or MI is the medical term for a heart
attack and can be categorized further into STEMI and non-STEMI. STEMI is a
serious condition where one of the arteries supplying oxygen and nutrient-rich
blood to the heart muscle gets blocked. Non-STEMI is a less severe form of a
heart attack. The best way to prevent an acute heart attack is to reduce the
risk factors associated with it. For instance, awareness must be raised on
changing to a healthier lifestyle and avoiding habits like smoking and
drinking. Habits that increase blood pressure and cholesterol must also be kept
under check. This is because buildup of plaque on the walls of arteries is a
major contributor to this condition. People with a family history of heart
disease should be more careful.”
The symptoms one should
watch out for include severe chest pain with sweating, palpitation and
breathing difficulty; feeling of black out, sinking down, and cold extremities;
extreme lethargy particularly in diabetes patients; chest pain radiating to
either or both arms, jaw, and the back region; and severe vomiting or nausea
with abdominal discomfort.
Adding further, Dr Manoj
“One should watch out for
the warning signs of a heart attack to avoid complications. Necessary lifestyle
changes should also be made at the earliest. Awareness about the symptoms can
help save lives before actual medical help is at hand.”
Primary angioplasty is the ideal mode of treatment for those who get Heart Attack. Administering a combination of thrombolysis first and angioplasty later can help in minimizing the damage to heart muscles. In angioplasty procedure a thin wire mesh (Stent) mounted on a deflated balloon is then passed through the catheter to the narrowed area. The balloon is inflated; compressing the deposits against the artery walls and leaving expanded stent embedded in the artery. Drug-eluting stents release medication to help heal the stressed arteries post procedure. Few stents are USFDA approved and well-studied for safe use in patients with complications such as diabetes, high bleeding risk or in patients who might have to interrupt medication a month after angioplasty.
Tips to help a person in
case of a heart attack
- Make the person lie down flat on a firm surface.
- Clear the airway and allow them to take a few deep breaths.
- Check for the pulse on any one side of the neck.
- If the patient is feeling nauseated, turn them to one side and let them vomit. This will prevent aspiration into the lungs.
- Lastly, raise both the legs to improve the supply of blood to the heart.
- Administer cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) immediately if the person is unconscious.
Disclaimer: “Any and all the Information provided in this press release are independent views expressed by Dr Manoj Kumar for general overview and educational purposes only.”
- Koshyari inaugurates 1st Northeast Unsung Heroes Red Carpet Social Awards 2019
- #Ramdev_Insults_Periyar : Lala Ramdev must apologise for his insulting remark on Periyar
- Namgyal, Kanhaiya, Shehla, Umar Khalid will get angry with Katju’s comment
- DOES THE APPEAL FOR PEACE & HARMONY APPLY TO HINDUTVA BRIGADE AS WELL FOR FUTURE?
- Why have our institutions become murders of Dalit Adivasi Muslim scholars?