29th September 2019: Between 2017 and 2030, the number of persons
aged 60 years or over is projected to grow by 46 per cent (from 962 million to
1.4 billion) globally outnumbering youth, as well as children under the age of
10. Moreover, this increase will be the greatest and most rapid in the
developing world. Population ageing is poised to become one of
the most significant social transformations of the 21st century.
have always played a significant role in society as leaders, caretakers and
custodians of tradition. Yet they are also highly vulnerable, with many falling
into poverty, becoming disabled or facing discrimination. As health care
improves, the population of older people is growing. Their needs are also
growing, as are their contributions to the world.
Day of Older Persons is an opportunity to highlight the important
contributions that older people make to society and raise awareness of the
opportunities and challenges of ageing in today’s world.
Day of Older Persons 2019 Theme: “The Journey to Age Equality”.
Agenda and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) recognize that development
will only be achievable if it is inclusive of all ages. Empowering older
persons in all dimensions of development, including promoting their active
participation in social, economic and political life, is one way to ensure
their inclusiveness and reduce inequalities.
theme is aligned with Sustainable Development Goal 10 (SDG 10) and focuses on
pathways of coping with existing — and preventing future — old age
inequalities. SDG 10 sets to reduce inequality within — and among — countries,
and aims to “ensure equal opportunity and reduce inequalities of
outcome,” including through measures to eliminate discrimination, and to
“empower and promote the social, economic and political inclusion of all,
irrespective of age, sex, disability, race, ethnicity, origin, religion or
economic or other status.”
in old age reflect an accumulated disadvantage characterized by factors
such as: location, gender, socio‐economic status, health and income. Between
2015 and 2030, the number of people aged 60 and over is expected to increase from
901 million to 1.4 billion. In this regard, trends of ageing and economic
inequality interact across generations and rapid population ageing, demographic
and societal or structural changes alone, can exacerbate older age
inequalities, thereby limiting economic growth and social cohesion.
theme of International Day of Older Persons aims to:
attention to the existence of old age inequalities and how this often results
from a cumulation of disadvantages throughout life, and highlight
intergenerational risk of increased old age inequalities.
awareness to the urgency of coping with existing — and preventing future — old
societal and structural changes in view of life course policies: life-long
learning, proactive and adaptive labour policies, social protection and
universal health coverage.
best practices, lessons and progress on the journey to ending older age
inequalities and changing negative narratives and stereotypes involving
Why do we mark International Days?
International days are occasions to educate the public on issues of concern, to mobilize political will and resources to address global problems, and to celebrate and reinforce achievements of humanity. The existence of international days predates the establishment of the United Nations, but the UN has embraced them as a powerful advocacy tool.
(Note- All information has been taken from the United Nations’ website.)
- देश को कश्मीर बनाओ !!
- ऐसा क्या कहा जस्टिस काटजू ने जो एक पाकिस्तानी ने कहा ‘सत्यमेव जयते’
- दृष्टिहीनता का मुख्य कारण है ग्लूकोमा
- दुनिया में 30 फीसदी से अधिक लोग हृदयाघात से मर जाते हैं
- विश्व हृदय दिवस – क्या हो हार्ट ट्रीटमेंट स्टेंट का विकल्प
- कुछ सवाल, हर देशभक्त भारतवासी को हिंदुत्व गिरोह से पूछने चाहिएं
- Students asking for the campus were expelled from the college, the government said that it is anti-national, Justice Katju writes in support of Students
- Asian-led CSO network calls on Elon Musk to engage in the decarbonization of Bitcoin.
- An objective assessment of the Indian farmers agitation
- A new platform to measure DNA modifications can have potential application in the early detection of cancer, Alzheimer’s & Parkinson’s
- #Breaking: Sardar Patel (Gujarat) Stadium renamed as Narendra Modi Stadium, Twitter trends #मोदी_मतलब_देश_चौपट