Geneva, 13 January 2020 – The World Health
Organization (WHO) is working with officials in Thailand and China following
reports of confirmation of the novel coronavirus in a person in Thailand.
was a traveler from Wuhan, China, and was identified by Thai officials on 8
January, and hospitalized that day. The person is recovering from the illness
according to Thai officials.
possibility of cases being identified in other countries was not unexpected,
and reinforces why WHO calls for on-going active monitoring and preparedness in
other countries. WHO has issued guidance on how to detect and treat persons ill
with the new virus.
sequencing shared by China enables more countries to rapidly diagnose patients.
reiterates that it is essential that investigations continue in China to
identify the source of this outbreak and any animal reservoirs or intermediate
Given developments, WHO Director-General Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus will consult with Emergency Committee members and could call for a meeting of the committee on short notice.
- WHO mourns passing of Dr Peter Salama
- #Breaking : Novel coronavirus 2019, All countries should be prepared for containment, including active surveillance, early detection, isolation and case management : WHO
- CDC’s Recommendations for Healthcare Providers on corona virus
- #Breaking : Situation Summary on 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)
- WHO will decide today whether or not Novel Coronavirus in China to declare a public health emergency ?
- Combined prenatal smoking and drinking greatly increases SIDS risk : Study
- #Breaking : Smoking greatly increases risk of complications after surgery : WHO study
- International Health Regulations Emergency Committee on novel coronavirus in China
- Immune cell metabolism altered in ME/CFS
- Researchers find cause of new autoinflammatory disease